Need to know about the most incredible spark plug brands? Or, are you just fishing for a bit of spark plug history? If the answer to any of these questions is “Yes!” This article is an absolute read for you.
Don’t let the compact size of a car spark plug play a trick on you. Your car is as good as dormant without this crucial piece of mechanical engineering. To revive your engine, you need quality-built spark plugs from the best brands in spark plug history. Historians say the history of the first spark plug began with the inventor, Edmond Berger, and was later patented by Robert Bosch. Since then, different spark plug designs have evolved.
The search for a great plug can be overwhelming, especially with many product types in the market today. For this reason, We have narrowed it down to the best five spark plug brands that are worth spending your money on. We have added a few antique spark plugs as a bonus.
The 5 Outstanding Brands in Spark Plug History
5 Elite Spark Plug Brands Out There
NGK SPARK PLUGS
Spark Plug History of NGK: From Japanese Ceramic Company to Global Automotive Brand
NGK Spark Plug Co. Ltd started as another Japanese ceramic company but now thrives as a globally accepted automotive brand. It is well known today as one of the major suppliers of automotive and ceramic parts. The company has attained tremendous growth since its establishment in 1936 as a division of the main company body – NGK Insulators. NGK began with a start-up capital of one million yen and officially launched its first spark plugs a year after it was founded. The NGK brand started its spark plug deal with the production of copper spark plugs before branching out to the production of other ceramic and iridium plugs in the ’90s. In the NGK’s spark plug history corvette, the V-groove technology is the only innovation that allows sparks to occur at the tip of the electrode without any absorption of heat by the electrode.
The company has risen to be represented in all continents worldwide, with above 14 500 employees. As a vital force in the supply of OE and aftermarket sensor and ignition parts, NGK is always committed to providing quality, technology, and development. The NGK is an acronym for Nihon Gaishi Kabushikigaisha.
Best NGK Spark Plugs of our day
6619 NGK IRIDIUM LFR6AIX-11 SPARK PLUGS – THE BEST SPARK PLUG FOR N52 POWERED BMWS
The hallmark of the NGK IX series in spark plug history is performance. This spark plug model is constructed with superior materials and extensive experience.
- Better Heat control- The ceramic insulator allows for heat transfer while its copper core takes out the heat.
- Compatibility- NGK spark plugs are suited for use in vehicles that need iridium components.
- Reliable plugs- In this review history of the first spark plug, NGK is one of the brands with anti-corrosive and seizing properties.
- Fitment challenges- Always check that the gap diameter suit your vehicle model.
- Low mileage-This plug does not contribute to fuel efficiency, especially with a 2003 Honda Pilot.
- Defective parts- Check that the plugs are not faulty before installation.
BKR5EGP NGK G-POWER 7090 PLUG – THE BEST SPARK PLUGS FOR THE MITSUBISHI LANCER
7090 is metal plated to withstand seizing and corrosion while its corrugated ribs act against flashover action.
- Consistent spark: The G-Power platinum alloy enhances a more incredible spark in your engine
- Faster throttle response: Enjoy your engine rev to life with its boosted throttle response.
- Better fuel efficiency: This NGK plug improves your fuel mileage. It is an all-round engine boost.
- Fits selected models: Ensure this NGK spark plug is the right fit for your vehicle.
- Wrong set of plugs: Due to poor quality control, vehicle owners complain that they receive the wrong set of plugs.
THE NGK 5464 IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG – BEST SPARK PLUG FOR MERCEDES
The 5464 Iridium IX spark plugs is regarded as the ‘performance enthusiast’ because it provides a stable spark and prevents electrical smothering.
- Prevents combustion gas leakage: The 5464 has a gasket seal, which is excellent for eliminating gas leakages.
- Corrosion-resistant: The Iridium plug has anti-seizing and corrosion-resistant properties that guarantee its durability.
- High melting Point: Since these plugs are durable against electrical wear, they boost your engine performance.
- Fitment issues: Ensure you confirm the gap diameter of these plugs before fixing it.
- Damaged plugs: Some vehicle owners complain that they receive faulty and slightly damaged plugs. You can blame this on rough handling during shipping.
DENSO SPARK PLUGS
Denso Corporation: The High-Tech Spark Plug Experts
Denso spark plug history began as Nippon Denso Co. Ltd in Japan with the production of OEM quality spark plugs. The company has a philosophy that believes in investing in the development of people to achieve success.
In 1957, Nippon Denso officially started the business of producing spark plugs. The brand created a spark plug lab and dispatched engineers to Bosch to learn the technology of spark plugs. Before establishing a spark plug lab, the Nippon Denso brand had signed a legal agreement with Robert Bosch. This legal agreement covers technical assistance on the expert production of spark plugs.
In 1991, Nippon Denso made an official name change to Denso Corporation. Denso spark plug history is incomplete without mentioning their partnership with Toyota Group of Companies.
The world’s first producers of spark plugs with U-shaped grooves on the ground electrode and 0.4mm Iridium electrodes have recorded substantial development. This growth is evident in the control of over a hundred subsidiaries across numerous countries. The company rose to the world’s fourth-largest auto parts supplier in 2016. So far, they have achieved a production peak of about 6 billion plugs of diverse designs.
Best Denso Spark Plugs of our Day
PK20TT PLATINUM TT DENSO 4504 PLUG – THE BEST SPARK PLUGS FOR TOYOTA SEQUOIA
This plug features the combination of Platinum and Titanium to create a twin-tip technology.
- Better Fuel Economy-Your vehicle starts with ease and has a faster acceleration.
- Thermal Conductivity- The plug material can withstand excessive stress and heat.
- Twin-tip Design- This design permits faster propagation and complete combustion.
- This plug is not compatible with Volkswagen MK5 GTI due to misfiring.
- Gap adjustments may be required.
DENSO 4503 PLATINUM SPARK PLUGS – RECOMMENDED FOR HONDA ACCORD EX V6
These Denso Platinum spark plugs are available in a set of 6.
- Correct gap diameter: The gaps of these spark plugs are correctly preset.
- Improved fuel mileage: These plugs enhances your fuel efficiency better than any plug you have ever used.
- Does not fit newer models of the Honda Odyssey.
DENSO 3297 IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG – BEST SPARK PLUGS FOR TOYOTA SIENNA
The Denso 3297 is a performance spark plug that serves as an OEM part for Toyota vehicles.
- Boosts engine acceleration: Cover more miles with these Denso spark plugs.
- OEM Plugs: What better spark plug replacement would you opt for than a factory fit Denso part?
- Long lasting: This Denso spark plug is guaranteed to last you for a long time.
- Shipping Damages: You might observe slight defects on the products upon delivery.
AC-DELCO SPARK PLUGS
AC-Delco Spark Plug History: One of the Greatest Mergers of all times
ACDelco spark plug history is a tale of several mergers and acquisitions that gave birth to one of the biggest spark plug manufacturers in history. The race began with AC spark plug history under the leadership of its founder, Albert Champion, who set up AC spark plug Company with help from Buick Motor co. However, these two companies were bought over by United Motors Corp. before adopting the name United Motor Services Inc. (UMS). Dayton Engineering Laboratories Co. (Delco) was one of the manufacturers of automotive products consolidated by UMS.
Following the death of Albert Champion, General Motors took over control of AC spark plug Company, changing its name to AC spark plug division. This control extended into UMS alongside its Delco counterparts, bringing forth yet another United Delco Division title. 1974 marked the significant merger of AC Spark Plug Sales Division and United Delco Division to form the AC-Delco Division of General Motors.
Best AcDelco Spark Plugs of our day
AC-DELCO PROFESSIONAL IRIDIUM PLUG 41-103 – THE BEST SPARK PLUG FOR GM SIERRA
These plugs are professionally designed to meet OE standards and performance.
- Fast Throttle – The small size of its electrodes ensures quick acceleration and efficiency.
- Enhanced Activity – The carbon deposits on the tip of the plug is destroyed by the electrode.
- No Interference- Suppressor seal blocks off any radiofrequency from affecting the vehicle’s electronics.
- Insufficient Packaging- Check that the plugs are not cracked and have no defects.
- Horrible Gas Mileage-This plug does not work well with a Chevy Trailblazer 4.2L.
41-962 AC-DELCO PROFESSIONAL PLATINUM PLUGS – RECOMMENDED SPARK PLUGS FOR CHEVY AVALANCHE 2002-2009
Double Platinum plugs are known to be premium plugs that are characterized by high-quality performance and longevity.
- Gas-tight seals: The AC-Delco double platinum plugs possess seals that regulate energy.
- No compression pressure: Don’t be scared! It’s gas-tight seals protect against compression pressure.
- Incorrect gap preset: You would need to adjust the gapping on these plugs to suit your vehicle.
ACDELCO 41-110 IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG – BEST FOR GMC SIERRA
- Better Engine Idle: The AC Delco Iridium plug offers your engine enhanced idle stability.
- Improves fuel economy: The plug burns away deposits on the tip of the plug to boost lower fuel mileage.
- Protect against combustion leakage: You wouldn’t have to worry about gas combustion leakage with this plug.
- Risk of Counterfeit plugs: Confirm that they are the right plugs and purchase only on Amazon.
- Tricky installation: You might need a proper online guide for installing these spark plug.
CHAMPION SPARK PLUGS
Champion: The Best Performance Experts in Spark Plug History
For over a hundred years, Champion spark plug company history was built on two words: performance and quality. These icons have experimented with various materials and designs to produce an enhanced ignition and plug life for its enthusiasts. This spark plug history would be vague without the mention of Champion spark plug history Windsor, one of the company’s earliest subsidiaries in Ontario, Canada.
Furthermore, if you are an off-road traveler, learn about Champion spark plug mine history by exploring one of its previous sites on the map. This site can be traced to the bountiful white mountains of California. Despite being just a campsite in present times, it fueled the production of Champion spark plugs in the early ’90s.
The Champion brand was initially founded by the former owner of AC Delco – Albert Champion. Subsequently, Albert lost control of the company to General Motors and left to set up AC Delco.
In 1989, Champion was purchased by Cooper Industries. As a result of this acquisition deal, the Champion spark plug brand now belongs to Federal-Mogul Corporation.
Best Champion Spark Plugs of our day
9407 CHAMPION RER8ZWYCB4 IRIDIUM SPARK PLUG – RECOMMENDED FOR PORSCHE AND RAM 1500
Are you looking for a vehicle-specific spark plug? 9407 is the answer. In the Champion h10 spark plug history, this plug generates excellent heat control and broad compatibility to vehicles.
- Maximum Performance- Both Iridium central and Platinum ground electrodes are trimmed to optimize performance and power.
- Heat control mechanism-The alloy allows the electrodes to attain stability under all loads.
- Compatibility – 9407 guarantees maximum performance regardless of the type of ignition or engine system.
- Gap Mishap- You may need to re-gap.
- Incomplete or wrong package-Check that you have the right plugs through its part number.
- Defective plugs- Check that the plugs are not faulty, as these may cause the engine to misfire.
RC12YC CHAMPION PLUG – A RECOMMENDED SPARK PLUG FOR SMALL ENGINE MACHINES
Choose RC12YC for dependable replacement plugs to keep your lawnmower and other small engines running smoothly. These spark plugs are your key to maintaining beautiful outdoor scenery.
- Best for small Engines: This is the best Champion spark plug you can use to run your machines with small engines.
- Aids heat control: The plug possesses a copper insulating material that controls the heat pressure of your engine.
- Poor quality control: Defects in product and wrong packaging are some of the complaints made by buyers.
CHAMPION RJ19HX COPPER SPARK PLUG - BEST SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENT FOR SMALL ENGINES
This is another copper spark plug for lawn specific engines. They are built for enhanced efficicency in small engines.
- Eliminates fouling: This anti-fouling spark plug does not support the accumulation of deposits on your engine.
- Boosts performance in small engines: The champion RJ19HX is tested and trusted to increase performance for all applications.
- Gapping Fitment: Although the plugs are meant to be pre-gapped, they might not be correctly set to suit your machine.
BOSCH SPARK PLUGS
Bosch Spark Plug History: An In-depth Analysis of One of the Oldest Spark Plug Brands
Bosch company history has been that of incredible innovations. Right from its birth in 1886, Robert Bosch has achieved breakthroughs in the automotive industry. Popular amongst them is the invention of spark plugs. In the early years, the company created the first high-voltage magneto ignition system in the world. Bosch spark plugs are highly recognized globally for durability and outstanding performance. With the manufacture of over 20 000 types of plugs and greater than 350 million plugs annually, Bosch has over 120 years experience in the design of spark plugs for different engines and vehicles. This wealth of experience is one of the reasons for its widespread popularity.
Best Bosch Spark Plugs of Our Day
BOSCH DOUBLE IRIDIUM 9614 OE SPARK PLUG – THE BEST ACURA MDX, RX, RSX, RL, HONDA CIVIC AND ACCORD SPARK PLUGS
Double Iridium plug promises higher performance, ignitability, and prolonged life. This plug part is well-fitted for a wide variety of Acura and Honda vehicle models. 9614 is resistant to wear and comes pre-gapped.
- No gapping install- This spark plug comes with a preset factory gap.
- Easy Installation- Installation is simplified with no need for adjustments.
- Durability- The Double Iridium used here decreases gap wear and promotes longevity.
- Best for Acura and Honda vehicle models
- Beware of counterfeit imitations of this Bosch Iridium plug.
Performance and decreased voltage requirements are complementary to the delicate wire design of this plug. Heat transfer is solely controlled by the copper electrode to allow for durability, and no gapping is required. Also, this OE replacement plug part is nickel-plated to prevent wear and seizing.
- Nickel-plated: Due to its nickel plating, it prevents wear and seizing.
- Pre-gapped: The Bosch spark plug is properly gapped to suit the BMW engine.
- Long lifespan: The copper electrode of the plug aids a better heat transfer, which boosts durability.
- Slight Defects: Some of the plugs might fail within a short time of use or without being used.
BMW BOSCH PLATINUM PLUG SET – BEST OEM BMW SPARK PLUGS
This is the best Bosch spark plug product for BMW owners. It is available in a set of 6 spark plugs.
- Perfect fit for BMW: This is a factory fit OEM spark plug every BMW owner should have.
- Simple Installation: Installing these spark plug is quite straightforward and does not involve any hassles.
- Better fuel mileage and engine performance.
- Rough Idle: The plug can cause a rough engine idle, especially due to defective parts.
The Most Notable Antique Spark Plug
Blue Crown Spark Plug Company History
Blue Crown plugs were identified by the signature blue ring at the tip right next to the porcelain material of the plug. As subsidiaries of Motor Master Products, The company manufactured about 40 000 premium spark plugs daily. Also, during this time, Blue Crown spark plug company history was known for the sponsorship of cars into racing activities. Notable amongst them was the legendary Indianapolis 500-mile race. In the race, the Indy cars carrying the company brand name were highly sought after, which led to their popularity.
Frequently Asked Questions About Spark Plugs
Q. Can I get Fisk tire spark plugs on Amazon?
Unfortunately, there is nothing on fisk tire spark plug history on Amazon.
Q. Where can I find Blue Crown spark plugs?
Sad to say but, these plugs are no longer available.
Q. What is the right spark plug for my small engine?
Check out the genuine Briggs & Stratton EMS spark plug history for 697451 plug replacement parts for small engines.
Our review of the best five brands in spark plug history is a must-read when looking to purchase a top-rated spark plug for your engine. These top 5 brands are well versed in the art of spark plug manufacture in the automotive industry. They possess credible track records in improving engine performance, long-life, acceleration, and mileage. These plug brands are equally seasoned manufacturers of diverse plug materials and dimensions to suit your engine’s specifications. All you need to do is go through our buyer’s guide and make a well-informed choice.